Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Halloween 2008

No, you have not stepped into a time warp, and no I am not delusional (sorta not) and think it's the year 2008. I am fully aware that it is now 2009 and that I am just now finally getting last years Halloween pictures up. I think I need to join Slackers Anonymous.


Anyhoo... Last year we were still in good ol' Sierra Vista AZ where they actually allow the schools to have Halloween parties! Yes! Seriously! This year they had a Harvest Party which we all know is not nearly as cool as a Halloween party because we are without what??? Yep! Halloween costumes! How much funner is that?! So last year I got to get the kids ready for Halloween bright and early in the morning in time for school.

Thanks to the Auntie Lois, Sydney was rockin' a Rainbow Brite costume that made me smile at all the childhood memories that one brought back! (I'm mailing that back. Seriously. See above commitment to Slackers Anonymous. Sorry.) She looked FABULOUS! I sprayed her hair orange and she was ready to go!



Now Melanie for the entire year had said that she wanted to be a bat. Seemed easy enough, but all we could find in the stores were capes and such which was not gonna cut it. Her opinion, not mine. So I googled for ideas and ended up staying up until 4:30 the night before (slacker...) sewing umbrella halves under the arms of a black turtleneck. It seemed like it would be a quick whip-stitch project but as usual, it was waaay more annoying than that. Melanie insisted that she had to be all black, just like a bat. Ok, so I didn't want to deal with spraying her hair black, so I just put the bat ears through a black stocking cap and painted her face black. And we had a bat. Sort of.
A week or so ago I was sitting in a parent teacher conference discussing Melanie's creative writing journal when I looked at what Mel had selected for the teacher to go over since it was her favorite entry. It was the entry about last Halloween and how she had dressed up as a bat burglar. I was smothering giggles until I finally couldn't control it anymore and had to explain the story of what we had actually intended as opposed to the result. Until I read that darling little journal I had never really thought about the conflicting messages that her costume had sent. Leave it to Mel to figure it out and just throw it in a journal. Bat burglar.... So check this!




See what I mean? Awesome, really. I bet she was the only bat burglar in existence that year. Because we're cool like that.


And Doodles, well Doodles insisted on being a kitty cat. She made me take pictures of her in the morning looking like her own cute self. (the natural devil costume)




Here she is in all her kitty cat glory, positively glowing at the opportunity to go an collect her weight in candy! Nothing makes that girl happier!



So this means that maybe next year I'll have this years stuff! hahaha! Just kidding! (maybe)

No comments: