Thursday, August 27, 2009

Irony

I love the word irony. I appreciate the concept of irony as well. I think this affection that I have for it is deeply rooted in the fact that I understand it as only one who experiences it often and sees it for what it is can have. We, irony and I are practically BFF's. I mean we hang out daily, laugh and cry together. We. Are. Tight.


Irony and I had a laugh just yesterday. Today too, but not every moment is worth a blog spotlight eh? You may find that this is not either, but unfortunately for you, I choose my blog content. Anyhoo, I was somewhere talking to someone (anonymity is important ya know?) about some others. Actually we were bitching about these people. Before you draw horrible conclusions about me and "someone", I would like to explain that these people are not the victims here. In fact, on a regular basis these other "someone's" make it their personal goal to make anyone and everyone in the vicinity as viciously miserable as they are. I have a legitimate reason to bitch since I am often in their vicinity. After this conversation I sit down to eat my lunch and open one of the two books in my purse. I had decided to read "How to Practice The Way to a Meaningful Life" by, His Holiness the Dalai Lama. Some light reading for sure. I kid you not, the first paragraph that I read was this:


"Instead of getting angry, nurture a deep caring and respect for troublemakers because by creating such trying circumstances, they provide us with invaluable opportunities to practice tolerance and patience."


HA! HA! HA! HA! What had I been thinking? Bitching about these troublemakers? I should be sending them thank you notes! What are the odds that I would run across that passage after one of the snarkier conversations I'd had all day? I believe that Jesus had something similar to say in The Sermon on The Mount, so I know these things, but I obviously need to be beat over the head with the concepts every now and again. Not that I don't care deeply for troublemakers! I have three (+ Jack) that teach me the timeless qualities of tolerance and patience on a daily basis. I am a fountain of patience and tolerance. Ok, that was a stretch but you get the idea.


Some of us need more time for reflection than others.