Monday, April 19, 2010

Life with Cody



It's been almost 14 years since we made the fateful decision to bring our first canine companion into our lives. Fourteen years of exasperation, tears, with the occasional laugh at our own expense. It was always us on the receiving end of the misery as I can only think of one time that Cody's actions directly led to his own humiliation/misery. Other than when he pushed me to the edge a time or two (or fifty or sixty...) and I would grab him by either side of his beautiful white mane and scream at him, "Why do you have to be such an asshole?!"


This probably seems dramatic and maybe even a bit exaggerated, but I swear that this dog, this innocent looking geriatric dog has caused more problems than any creature I have heard of. I watched "Marley and Me" and scoffed at the antics of that dog while thinking to myself that they had nothing on my stories! In fact I've recently started a book about them. One that will likely never get published or recognized in any way, but one that needs to be written nevertheless. I feel like I need to tell the Cody stories even if it's only my form of self therapy. To get it off my chest as they say.


I've been kicking myself lately for not having documented any of his hijinks. Some of the stuff he has done would have definitely been photo worthy even if it was only for us to make a solid case against him for the loss of our sanity. Or to make people that don't know him believe that a dog was capable of such acts. In his old age he has lost some of his pep, but none of his bad and devious attitude. I attempted to make up for my poor documentation history with this picture.



Yes, that is crap on a case of Diet Pepsi. And yes, I do believe that it was totally intentional and pre-meditated. I do not joke about this. He was mad at me for something, pick any reason, and he knows that soda is important to me. That was his statement.


Mel and I walked him three miles that night because I mistakenly thought that Mr. Gimpster would give up and we'd have to leave him on the roadside, but he tromped along like a champ! I'm sure that he will live many more years if only just to spite us. He is the dog that refuses to stop breathing.
In all seriousness he is loved, but in sort of a Stockholm Syndrome sort of way.

4 comments:

Rochelle said...

I can't believe that asshole is still kickin it! And while yes an asshole he has provided some really good laughs!

mizkylie said...

OH. MY. GOSH. Rochelle just said Asshole twice!!! LOL She just got demoted to the Terrestial kingdom!!

mizkylie said...

Dude, for reals, update your blog homeslice.

calistamarie said...

Dogs are capable! I wish I could have met this devious hound. I never knew it was possible in any animal until I met Roni, Chad's dog. Did you ever meet her? I wish I'd had you on my team back in those days. That devious dog played us against eachother. Laughable now. Then, not so much. What kind of dog was Cody? He's super pretty.

PS - When Chad and I were dating the first night I stayed over she peed on me while he was in the shower. I was still asleep in his bed. Bad dog. Doggie prozac?